After finding himself as a bit-part player in the early stage of the season, Sanchez has fallen back in Jose Mourinho’s good grace over the course of the campaign.
With Toby Alderweireld and Eric Dier underperforming in the past few months, the Colombia international has fought his way back into Spurs’ starting XI.
Indeed, the 24-year-old defender has begun each of Tottenham’s last nine Premier League matches, albeit he made a rookie mistake during last weekend’s 2-2 draw at Newcastle United.
According to some reports, Sanchez’s blunder at St. James’ Park may well cost him his career in London as Mourinho identified the centre-back as the main culprit for his side’s lackluster result.
Coming to the Colombian’s rescue could be Barcelona.
The Catalan giants’ prime defensive target heading into the summer is Manchester City’s Eric Garcia.
Unfortunately for the La Liga powerhouse, Pep Guardiola continues to play hardball on the Spaniard’s availability as he wants to keep the 20-year-old at the Etihad.
Ronald Koeman needs defensive reinforcements after reverting to a back three of late.
Gerard Pique and Samuel Umtiti have both struggled with injuries, while Clement Lenglet failed to demonstrate consistency.
With his senior options either injured or underperforming, Koeman has integrated youngsters Oscar Mingueza and Oscar Araujo into his first-team squad.
However, Barcelona need a more recognized defensive option going forward, as Joan Laporta hopes to build a new trophy-laden generation at Camp Nou.
If Barca’s pursuit of Garcia comes a cropper, they will turn their attention towards another Premier League star.
Despite enduring a topsy-turvy season, Sanchez still has three years left on his contract in London and will command a substantial price tag in the summer.
Tottenham splurged £42million to take him away from Ajax in 2017 and will be looking to recoup most of the amount they paid to close the deal.
Latest Tottenham News
- Tottenham vs Sheffield United – Premier League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Teddy Sheringham names perfect replacement for Jose Mourinho at Tottenham
- What do Spurs need to keep Harry Kane at the club?
- Mason provides brutal assessment of Tottenham’s current status in English football
- Report: Serge Aurier could depart Tottenham for shocking return to PSG
- Alderweireld hopes to rekindle his Tottenham career after Mourinho’s departure
- Ryan Mason provides update on Harry Kane’s fitness situation ahead of Man City clash
- Tottenham approached Marcelino’s representatives to replace Jose Mourinho
- Jurgen Klinsmann urged Tottenham to sign Paul Pogba-like midfielder
- Tottenham and Maurizio Sarri ‘in talks’ over summer takeover