Tottenham Hotspur have made contacts with the representatives of Athletic Club head coach Marcelino Garcia Toral over a potential summer takeover, per 101 Great Goals.
The Spurs relieved Jose Mourinho of his duties on Monday following a string of underwhelming performances.
With the prospect of the controversial European Super League making headlines over the past few days, the Portuguese’s departure has somewhat taken a back seat.
The Londoners are on the lookout for a new permanent boss, with Ryan Mason appointed as an interim solution for the remainder of the season.
Regardless of his potential accomplishments, Mason is expected to step down in the summer.
Several names have been linked with a high-profile move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, including RB Leipzig’s Julian Nagelsmann and Leicester City’s Brendan Rodgers.
However, Tottenham have established contacts with Marcelino’s entourages as they look to take the Spaniard away from the Basque outfit.
The 55-year-old’s contract at Athletic runs out at the end of the next season.
Per reports, there are some clauses in his current deal that would make him an affordable option for the London side in the summer.
Marcelino arrived at the helm of the Basque giants back in January but has failed to live up to expectations since then.
Stuck in mid-table, Los Leones will hardly secure European football for next season, especially given their ongoing five-game winless league streak.
Despite Athletic’s recent La Liga wobble, Marcelino encourages attacking-minded philosophy and has a ‘modern outlook’ on football.
As such, he ticks some of the boxes for the type of manager Daniel Levy is looking to hire.
Latest Tottenham News
- Tottenham vs Sheffield United – Premier League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Teddy Sheringham names perfect replacement for Jose Mourinho at Tottenham
- What do Spurs need to keep Harry Kane at the club?
- Mason provides brutal assessment of Tottenham’s current status in English football
- Report: Serge Aurier could depart Tottenham for shocking return to PSG
- Alderweireld hopes to rekindle his Tottenham career after Mourinho’s departure
- Ryan Mason provides update on Harry Kane’s fitness situation ahead of Man City clash
- Tottenham approached Marcelino’s representatives to replace Jose Mourinho
- Jurgen Klinsmann urged Tottenham to sign Paul Pogba-like midfielder
- Tottenham and Maurizio Sarri ‘in talks’ over summer takeover